ABOUT MEGAN MCLOUGHLIN:
Megan McLoughlin is a data-driven patent attorney with unique and unparalleled intellectual property experience that spans both the legal and corporate worlds. Her dedication to uncovering USPTO trends and improving the prosecution process have distinguished her for various professional recognitions, including the IPR Gorilla 2022 Emerging IP Player award.
Megan’s hybrid business and legal background allow her to bring a business perspective to her patent practice. She provides objective and demonstrable improvements to her clients’ prosecution outcomes, while also providing an insider’s perspective on how patents are acquired and used by large corporations.
Megan joins Founders Legal following her successes as the former global director of the LexisNexis prosecution software suite. There, Megan led innovative solutions for improving US prosecution outcomes through the organization’s industry-leading software tools. This experience cultivated her data-forward practice, enhancing the prosecution process and providing key insight into the USPTO and patent system for her clients.
As a regular speaker on global webinars, events, and the Better Patents Now podcast co-host, Megan continues to educate and empower the legal community on the power of data in promoting innovation and strengthening the patent system.
Harvard Law School – Juris Doctorate
Rice University – B.S. in Bioengineering
State of Massachusetts
United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Medical Devices
- Legal Tech
- Various Mechanical
- Adjustable-Volume Liquid Dispensing Pump, U.S. Patent No. 8,261,949. Issued September 11, 2012.
- Co-host of the Better Patents Now podcast, 57 episodes available at: https://www.lexisnexisip.com/better-patents-now-podcast/.
- Foreign Filing at the USPTO. Published by LexisNexis IP in April 2018, available at: https://www.lexisnexisip.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/foreign-filing-at-the-uspto.pdf.
- A Better Way to File Patent Applications. Published on IPWatchDog on April 14, 2016, available at: https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2016/04/14/better-way-file-patent-applications/id=68302/.
- Japan Patent Office Relaxes Unity of Invention Requirements. Published in AIPLA Newsstand’s daily letter on September 26, 2013.
- Supreme Court Bolsters Patent Owner Rights in Self-Replicating Technologies. Published in AIPLA Newsstand’s daily letter on July 25, 2013.
- Supreme Court Establishes International Copyright Exhaustion. Published in AIPLA Newsstand’s daily letter on May 27, 2013.
- Federal Circuit “Reverses” Itself, Illustrating Benefits of Pairing Reexamination with Patent Infringement Law Suits. Published in AIPLA Newsstand’s daily letter on July 20, 2012.
- Honest Services Fraud: the Trial Court’s Turn. Published in On Remand, the online publication of The New England Law Review, in Vol. 46/Issue 4, on June 2, 2012.
- FDA Publishes Guidance Document on Benefit-Risk Analysis for Medical Device Approval. Published in Law360’s “Expert Analysis” section on April 19, 2012.
At LexisNexis, Megan led product development and strategy for two industry-leading software tools: LexisNexis PatentAdvisor® and LexisNexis PatentOptimizer®.
PatentAdvisor® is a first-to-market prosecution analytics solution that helps patent practitioners to measure and improve their prosecution outcomes, using a variety of features such as examiner statistics, law firm report cards, and technology classification prediction.
PatentOptimizer® ensures quality drafting by automatically checking for common 112 errors and providing term analysis based on prior constructions in the case law.